I would love to know what you think of the blog! Please comment & I will respond as soon as possible. I have also included more information on the Contact Me page. Thank you so much for visiting!!!!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Behind the Blog: Criticism

88679520b_zpsaac150b5


I am not wanting to spend a ton of energy devoted to this topic for two reasons . One is the fact that I am focusing on the positive this year. Also, I am not wanting to pay attention to those that think negatively. It’s part of my goals for this year  (if you haven’t read my New Year New Start for 2013 post, please click here).

So why am I writing this? Throughout this Behind the Blog series, I have shared my blogging experiences (New to this series? Click here). When I first started blogging, I never heard of experiences of other bloggers.  Don’t get me wrong, I do like to keep most things in my life private.  However, if I can help others through my experiences, then I am going to talk.

I’m going to start by first saying that in no way do I intend to sound pretentious. That is not me at all. Secondly, I’m not going to talk about this after this post. (There is  no point in harboring negative energy. I am also wanting to keep this blog positive!)

Most people in my personal life do not know about my blog. I love what I do, but I am less open to talking about it. I have had some experiences that have caused me to keep quiet about it.

When I was working at an office, one of my coworkers found my blog through social media. I was quite surprised. I was a little embarrassed because it was like a secret had been discovered.  She was also the first person that came to me about it, and thought that it was pretty cool!

I’ve had a coworker that thought it was weird. I just told her that I do not judge her hobbies, so please do not judge mine. I think that is probably the best way that I could have handled that in the workplace. I probably could have raised my voice, but getting angry like that is not appropriate.

But what I really want to mention is close friends and how they react. Most of my friends that  know about my blog are beyond supportive. I have had a few that were not the best . They were supportive at first, which was great. After I had been blogging for months and put tons of time and energy into it, they were very critical of me.   They began sending me hateful messages. I would be lying if I said that it didn’t affect me. It did and it almost stopped me from blogging. It wasn't some random people that I did not know; they were people that I trusted.  I took some time for me just to get my head cleared from the negative words.  I realized that if I stopped doing what I love, then they would be winning.  I love blogging, and I love connecting with you all by every comment, tweet and message.  I really felt sad for them.  They were not doing anything in their lives that made them happy, and thought that they would tear me apart because I was.

This is more than a blogging lesson; it’s a life lesson.  You cannot expect that every person will like you.  There’s people that are not going to like you and you may never know the reasons why. It’s probably best that you don’t know their reasons.

It’s easy to say “Chin up”. It doesn’t work that way; negative words do get to you.  But we cannot falter at every one. We need to stand up for ourselves and say “That’s not acceptable.”

    This is why one of my goals for 2013 is to avoid negative people and their intent to create harm. People say that there’s no control over negativity on blogs. You may not be able to control the negative thoughts, but you can control how you react to the negativity.  You could sit around and have a pity party; or you could just keep blogging no matter what the negative people say. I chose the second.

I am not allowing those negative people to control my life. It’s my life, and I am going to make sure that I am happy. I love blogging and reading your feedback. I smile every time that I receive a comment, a tweet, or an from you all.  I love hearing from you!  I’m spending this year focusing on the positive and taking time to appreciate the tiny moments that brighten our days.

I want to thank each and every one of you for being so supportive and amazing!  Let me know how you handle negativity in your lives regardless if you blog or not. :)

Here’s to no more negative energy!

No comments: